Types of energy companies
There are several types of energy retailers in Alberta:
- Regulated Rate Companies provide consumers with regulated electricity and natural gas services.
- Competitive Retailers offer electricity and natural gas contracts to small volume use consumers in most parts of Alberta.
- Green Energy is made from renewable sources, such as wind.
- Distribution Companies deliver electricity through transmission wires and natural gas through pipelines to Alberta homes.
- Rural Electrification Associations (REAs) and Natural Gas Co-ops This page contains contact information for REAs and a list of rural natural gas co-op members. For further information on products or rates, contact these organizations directly. Members of rural electrification associations or natural gas co-operatives should check with their provider to determine if they are eligible for service under competitive electricity or natural gas contracts.
Current and historic rates
Current and Historic Rates lists regulated rates and competitive prices from 2002 to current.
Micro-generation is environmentally friendly electricity on a small scale for individual customer use. For more information read Alberta Energy's Talk about micro-generation (PDF) fact sheet.