If you need assistance resolving an issue with your utility company or have questions about your electricity and natural gas choices, the Utilities Consumer Advocate's (UCA) Mediation Team can help. We receive over 2,000 calls and thousands of website visits each month and provide monthly Mediation Summary Reports to help you make a choice that's best for you. Read our mediation stories based on real mediation cases to help you better understand how the UCA can assist.
When consumers have exhausted known avenues of issue resolution, the UCA will investigate and attempt to resolve their concerns through mediation with utility companies. What does the Mediation Team do?
- Provides advice and information about how to purchase electricity and natural gas based on your unique needs.
- Explains the difference between Regulated and Competitive Retailers.
- Contacts your utility company to help resolve energy and water utility issues.
Commonly asked questions
Here are some commonly asked questions. Click on the link to learn more. If you still have questions, contact our Mediation Team for more information.
- What are my choices?
- Should I sign a contract?
- What are the current electricity and natural gas rates?
- Why are my delivery fees so high?
- What happens if I don't pay my utility bills?
Want us to contact your utility company on your behalf? Please let a Mediation Officer know the details.
The UCA offers interpreter services for callers with limited English. Once you are connected with a Mediation Officer, please identify your language of choice and we will bring an interpreter onto the call. Please be patient as it may take time for the connection to be made.
In Alberta, dial 310-4-UCA (310-4822)
Outside Alberta, dial 780-644-5130
Toll-free access: 1-866-744-5129
To send an E-mail to a mediation officer, please fill out the form below. We require your personal information to mediate on your behalf.